Volunteer with EdsQ!
Whether you are an early-career editor or an experienced professional, we would love to welcome you to our band of EdsQ volunteers. And whether you are in Cairns or Cunnamulla, you can contribute equally as long as you have an internet connection.
What are the benefits?
- You will learn a lot from your colleagues, and from exposure to a wide range of speakers and content.
- You will be part of a friendly and supportive team in the EdsQ Management Committee.
- You will learn more about teamwork and networking.
- You will be able to contribute your skills and knowledge.
- We regard no question as dumb! Each of us started somewhere.
- If you volunteer for the position of Professional Development Coordinator for Editors Queensland, you will be able to access, free of charge, the training workshops you help to organise.
Here are the positions we are looking for:
- Events coordinator – part of an Events team of four. Our Events coordinator, with the help of the Management Committee, puts together a plan of topics and speakers for speaker meetings. You don’t have to have vast knowledge of all editing fields – there are plenty of people contributing ideas! You then liaise with the speaker and host the online meeting. No drama: You will be given assistance until you know the ropes, and other team members look after the technical side of things.
- Professional Development (PD, training) coordinator and liaison person with IPEd’s Standing Committee on Professional Development (SCPD). This is an exciting role because you benefit from the experience and skills of the SCPD team as well as our Management Committee. You contribute as much or little as you can to the SCPD, but importantly, you act as a conduit between the SCPD and the Management Committee. We will try to find two people to work together in this role because it could be a good form of cooperation, but one person could also do it. Editors Queensland hosts two workshops per year, usually online. Our PD coordinator is responsible for organising these. Your ideas are welcome!
We would love to hear from you. Please contact Glenine Hamlyn (President) on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to express your interest.
Annual Branch Meeting
We were delighted to host IPEd members who affiliate with EdsQ at our Annual Branch Meeting on 2 August. We combined the official meeting – the short part of the evening – with a panel discussion on Artificial Intelligence and its implications for editing. We plan to report on this in the next Gatherings, so watch this space!
Editors Queensland gather for Christmas in July lunch
By Annette Seargent (Social Events Coordinator, Brisbane)
On 30 July 2023, editors from Brisbane and surrounding areas got together for the annual Christmas in July lunch. We met at The Garden Room, a bright and airy restaurant with lots of greenery at the doorstep of Roma Street Parkland. The weather was perfect – it was one of the warmest days of the winter so far. Everyone enjoyed the food, company and Christmassy chocolates that Glenine brought. We also welcomed a new member (Christine). Queensland’s editors will have another chance to meet up in the next few months to celebrate spring. Hope to see you there.